24-31 August 2018
The Data Science Summer School is organized for the first time in Romania by the Bucharest University of Economic Studies, with the support of the International Relations Office, the Faculty of Cybernetics, Statistics and Informatics, and the Faculty of Finances and Banking, together with renowned specialists from the USA, Norway, Spain, Slovenia and Austria.
The goal of the summer school is to familiarize students with relevant state of the art topics in data science. The program will cover fundamentals of data science and focus on the following key data science topics:
- Machine learning
- Text mining
- Data management
- Data visualization
- Applications in finance and economics
The program will consist of a combination of lecture-style talks introducing various data science paradigms and methods, hands-on sessions, short high-level inspirational talks on data science related projects, and student projects.
The summer school aims to have a practical orientation, with Pyhton being used to exemplify many of the topics covered at the summer school.
At the end of the summer school, the students are expected to have an understanding of key paradigms used in data science and be able to practically apply them in data science projects.
- Familiarity with computer programming, interest in working with data, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn new things!
- Basic knowledge of linear algebra, probability theory, knowledge representation would be useful, though not strictly necessary.
- English, at least B2 (according to European language levels – Self Assessment Grid)
- In order to ensure a sufficient level of knowledge, the Summer School is aimed at prospective students with at least a Bachelor’s Degree.